The California Black Infant Health (BIH) Program aims to improve health among African American mothers and babies and to reduce the Black: White disparities by empowering pregnant and mothering African American women to make healthy choices for themselves, their families, and their communities.
BIH Program Services
Our FREE and VOLUNTARY services are provided by Family Health Advocates, a Mental Health Professional and a Public Health Nurse and include the following:
- Prenatal and Postpartum Educational Intervention Group Sessions. These groups are designed to encourage and support a healthy pregnancy; and provide information and educate Participants on postpartum and infant care.
- Culturally—Sensitive Case Management. The BIH Program model uses a social service-oriented enhanced case management model that focuses on (a) identifying and triage Participant needs and facilitate access to prenatal and postpartum supportive services (to medical care as needed), while at the same time, (b) working with the client to identify and build on her strengths and resources to problem-solve, and obtain the services and support she needs.
- Support of Early and Continuous Prenatal Care
- Linkages to Related Community Resources and Services
- Advocacy of timely Immunizations and Well Baby Check-Ups Exams being up-to-date
A woman is eligible for entry into BIH if she meets the following criteria:
•Is a self- identified African American woman who is up to 30 weeks pregnant
•Is 18 years of age or older
•Resides within Greater Bakersfield
•Consents to actively participate in the entire BIH program including:
→Individual enhanced case management
→Consent to release information from her prenatal care provider and from her baby’s birth certificate information
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you help me get a prenatal care doctor?
We can provide you with a list of doctors in your area.
Do you assist with utility bills?
No, but BIH will assist by making referrals to community-based programs to assist with paying your utilities if possible.
Can you help me find housing?
We make referrals to agencies that will assist in finding housing.
Can you help me with food?
We can make referrals to food resources in the community (i.e., Food Bank locations and times).
Do you provide childcare?
No, but we can refer you to appropriate agencies. Children under school age are also allowed to attend the Group Sessions.