HIV Services

The Kern County ADAP is a state-based program funded in part by Title II of the Ryan White CARE Act created in 1990 by the U.S. Congress. The ADAP provides medication assistance for the treatment of HIV or AIDS to individuals without insurance coverage or third party benefits for ADAP medications. The individual must meet financial eligibility requirements as established by the California Department of Public Health. For any questions or to schedule an appointment with an ADAP Enrollment Worker, please call 661-321-3000 and request to be connected to the ADAP.

The Health Education & Linkage Program (HELP) provides case management services to individuals who are HIV-positive or have AIDS. Each client will receive an individualized care plan and a case manager to provide support, health education, and linkage to medical and social services. The goal of this program is to increase clients’ access to treatment for their HIV or AIDS and provide assistance to other resources such as food or housing to help keep them in care. If you have questions or need assistance with case management services, please call 661-321-3000 and request to be connected to the HELP.

The Kern County Public Health Services Department also subcontracts case management services with Clinica Sierra Vista’s (CSV) program called Kern Lifeline that also offers similar services. If you have questions or wish to enroll in their program, please call 661-324-3262.

The HOPWA Program was established by the U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to address the specific needs of persons living with HIV or AIDS including their families. HOPWA funds specifically benefit low-income persons medically diagnosed with HIV or AIDS. In Kern County, the HOPWA Program is a collaboration between the Housing Authority of the County of Kern (HACK), Clinica Sierra Vista (CSV), and the Kern County Public Health Services Department (KCPHSD). All three of the organizations work together to provide housing assistance and supportive services to persons living with HIV or AIDS and their families. Persons must meet the eligibility criteria to be enrolled. If you have any questions or wish to be enrolled into HOPWA, please call 661-321-3000 and asked to be connected to the Health Education & Linkage Program (HELP). To access HOPWA services at Clinica Sierra Vista, please call 661-322-7580 and request to be connected to the HOPWA program.

The PrEP-AP provides assistance with PrEP-related medical out-of-pocket costs and access to medications on the PrEP-AP formulary for the prevention of HIV and treatment of sexually transmitted infections. The PrEP-AP provides assistance to both uninsured and insured individuals at risk for, but not infected with HIV. If you have questions about PrEP-AP or PrEP, please call 661-321-3000 and request to be connected to the PrEP Program.

PrEP-AP Client FAQs

Questions on Testing, PrEP or PEP? Learn more here!

Would you like a free HIV self-test kit for you and a partner? Click here for more information about the Take Me Home Testing Program.