Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (CLPPP)
What is the CLPPP?
The CLPPP seeks to decrease Kern County children’s exposure to lead through the following methods:
- Case management of the CHDP all children in Kern County who are lead burdened. and are income eligible or have fee-for-service Medi-Cal;
- Education and continuing support to CHDP Providers through workshops, lead screening/testing and anticipatory guidance on lead poisoning prevention information;
- Capacity to track lead exposure countywide and to monitor the management of lead burdened children;
- Promotion of healthy children and prevention of lead poisoning through health fairs, educational programs for the community, the program’s newsletter Lead Educator and recall news releases;
- Partnerships with government agencies, community-based organizations, and the private sector for the prevention of lead poisoning. For example: Department of Human Services; Medi-Cal Managed Care Plans; School Systems; Head Start Programs; State sponsored Pre-schools; Black Infant Health Coalition; Community Connection for Child Care and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC); and
- Compliance with Federal and State statutory and regulatory requirements.
Jennie Capucao, PHN II (661) 868-0542
Lead Updates & Finger Stick Sample
CHDP requires that children have blood lead testing routinely at 12 and 24 months, between 25-72 months of age if not previously tested, and if they are determined to be at risk for lead poisoning. Capillary finger stick sampling is a common method of obtaining a sample to determine a child’s blood lead level. There is a high potential for contamination of capillary specimens. Correct finger stick technique procedures must be followed to obtain accurate blood lead test results.
To learn more about proper finger stick technique for blood lead testing and to schedule a training call Kern County Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program at (661) 321-3000.
Guidelines and recommendations for school districts, schools, and the education community are posted in this section. Information is updated as new material is released.
- Medical Management Guidelines on Childhood Lead Poisoning for Providers
- CHDP Billing Information – Lead
- Updated Guidance for Screening for and Management –CHDP Provider Notice No. 03:16
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Programs (CLPPPs)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention
- California Department of Public Health
- The Management Guidelines (PDF) – Summarizes follow-up activities once a child is found to have an elevated blood level
- Standard of Care on Screening for Childhood Lead Poisoning – Click here to read the entire code of regulations
- CHDP Medical Providers – Bakersfield and Outlying Areas ….English/Spanish rev.6/18/18
Resources and Links
- Lead Poisoning Prevention Publications
- Healthy Homes Publications
- California Lead Branch – Information & Resources
- California Food and Drug Branch – Lead in Candy
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- CDC – Lead
- Alliance for Healthy Homes
- Housing Resource List
- Lead Safe Work Practices Eng.Span
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA – Lead Information)
Eating Healthy Foods – Lead can hurt your child. Lead can harm a child’s brain and make it hard for children to learn, pay attention and behave.
Learn About Lead Poisoning – A general guide to sources of lead exposure, symptoms of poisoning and how to prevent lead exposure in children.
Learn About Lead Poisoning (PDF) … English | Spanish | Chinese | Hmong | Lao | Vietnamese
Protect Your Child From Lead – A general guide to sources of lead exposure, symptoms of poisoning and how to prevent lead exposure in children.
Protect Your Child From Lead (PDF) … English | Spanish | Korean | Punjabi (2MB)
Simple Steps to Protect Your Child From Lead – Actions to take to prevent lead exposure around your home.
Simple Steps to Protect Your Child From Lead (PDF) … English | Spanish | Chinese | Hmong | Lao | Vietnamese
Lead in House Paint and Dirt Can Hurt Your Child!
Information about lead sources around the home and what to do to protect your family.
Lead in House Paint and Dirt Can Hurt Your Child! (PDF) … English | Spanish | Chinese | Hmong | Lao | Vietnamese
- California Lead Branch – Information & Resources
- The Blood Lead Test … En & Sp
- Sources of Lead List … En & Sp
- 10 Things To Know About Lead – 10 Cosas Que Debe Saber Acerca Del Plomo
- Lead in Traditional Ceramic Dishware … English | Spanish
- Healthy Eating to Protect Your Kids From Lead Poisoning … En & Sp
- Keep your newborn safe from LEAD – Mantenga a su bebé protegido contra los peligros del PLOMO
- Lead in Paint and Dirt Can Hurt Your Child … English | Spanish
- CDPH Remodeling or Repainting Brochure … En & Sp
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – When Buying a House
- Fact Sheet LEAD Eng Sp
- Lead Swab Store List – Locations in Kern County… En & Sp
If you need CHDP/Lead Educational Materials, please call Imelda Ceja-Butkiewicz at (661) 868-1201 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Lead Recalls
For the Latest Lead Recalls please refer to “U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission” by visiting: www.CPSC.GOV or calling: 1-800-638-2772.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Base Brands Recalls Water Bottles Due to Violation of Lead Paint Standard (Recall Alert)
Name of product: Reduce Hydro Pro water bottles
Hazard: The pink paint on the outside of the bear water bottle contains levels of lead that exceed the federal lead paint standard. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health issues.
Remedy: Refund, replace or call CPSC’s Hotline at 800-638-2772
Recall date: April 19, 2018
Units Sold: About 2,000
This recall involves Base Brands children’s Reduce Hydro Pro Furry Friends water bottles. The stainless steel insulated, 14 ounce water bottles were sold in a pack of two bottles: a pink bottle with a character of a bear face and a gray bottle with the character of a lamb head. The recalled water bottles have a removable Reduce, of the bottle.
Sold At: Costco Wholesale stores nationwide and online at www.amazon.com from January 2018 through February 2018 for about $13.
Manufactured In: China
LEAD HAZARDS – Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC)
March 2017, Restoration Hardware Recalls Metal Top Dinning Tables, Active Kyds Recalls Children’s Toy Shovels and Garden Tools, LaRose Industries Recalls Cra-Z-Jewelz Ultimate Gem, GSI Outdoors Recalls Children’s Water Bottles
August 25, 2016, Mars Retail Group Recalls M&M’S-Branded Jewelry Due to Violation of Lead Standard
Monkey Glockenspiel – Childrens-Musical-Instrument
Far East Brokers Recalls Children’s Chairs and Swings Due to Violation of Federal Lead Paint Standard – Chairs and Swings http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/Far-East-Brokers-Recalls-Childrens-Chairs-and-Swings
GSI Outdoors Recalls Children’s Water Bottles Due to Violation of Lead Standard; Sold Exclusively at L.L.Bean http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/GSI-Outdoors-Recalls-Childrens-Water-Bottles
Things Remembered Recalls Children’s Jewelry Due to Violation of Lead Standard –http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2016/Things-Remembered-Recalls-Childrens-Jewelry
Gel Spice, Inc., a Bayonne, NJ establishment expands their recall of Fresh Finds Ground Turmeric Powder due to elevated Lead levels. 8.15.16
Attached is a preliminary list of retailers identified as receiving the recalled product. For additional information, please see attached product list and visithttp://dld.bz/eNrmM
Lead Educator – Newsletter