Cottage Food Operations (CFO)
- This type of CFO can sell home-kitchen prepared foods directly to the public. This includes transactions made via the phone, internet, and any other digital method. A direct sale may be fulfilled in person, via mail delivery, or using any other third-party delivery service. A Class A operator's current maximum gross annual sales are $75,000.
- This type of CFO can sell home-kitchen prepared foods directly to the public or indirectly through restaurants and food markets. A direct sale may be fulfilled in person, via mail delivery, or using any other third-party delivery service. An indirect sale may be fulfilled in person, via mail delivery, or third-party delivery service. The current gross annual sales for a Class B operator are $150,000.
All CFOs must meet the requirements listed in the California Health and Safety Code, including but not limited to the following:
- Preparing and packing foods from the Approved Foods List
- Completing a Cottage Food Operator Training within three months of registration/permitting
- Implementing sanitary operations
- Labels compliant with state and federal requirements
- Operating within the established gross annual sales limits
Cottage Food Operations, California Department of Public Health, 28 February 2023
Our Environmental Health Permits cover the fiscal year of July 1st - June 30th.
Our Environmental Health Fees are listed here: Environmental Health Fees.
A copy of the Fictitious Business Name Statement
Contact: County Clerk – Fictitious Names, 1115 Truxtun Ave, Bakersfield CA 93301 Phone: (661)-868-3588. Alternatively, you may submit a copy of a LLC OR Articles of Organization, if you have one for the business. If a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) is not used, the business name shall include legal name of the operator.
A copy of the Seller's Permit
Contact: California Department of Tax and Fee Administration @ 1800 30th Street, Suite 380 Bakersfield, CA 93301 Phone: (661) 395-2880 OR a copy of the Business Tax Certificate issued by local jurisdiction.
A copy of the home occupation permit issued by the local zoning
Local City Planning department if residence is in an incorporated area or Kern County Planning department (661-862-8600) if residence is an unincorporated area.
A copy of food handler certificates for all persons preparing or packaging CFO products
From any ANSI accredited provider
Sample labels for CFO foods as per attached labeling guidelines
COMPLETED APPLICATION THROUGH OUR CFO PORTAL PROVIDED ABOVE