Hazardous Materials

Hazardous Materials CUPA

The Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) was developed to consolidate the administration of six specific state hazardous materials programs under one agency. The CUPA for the County of Kern is the Environmental Health Services Division. The CUPA for the City of Bakersfield is the Bakersfield Fire Department. Under the CUPA, site inspections of these hazardous materials programs (Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act [APSA], Underground Storage Tanks [UST], Hazardous Waste Tiered Treatment, Hazardous Waste Generators, Hazardous Materials Management and Response Plans, and the California Fire Code) are consolidated and accomplished by a single inspection. These departments also provide emergency response to hazardous materials events, performing health and environmental risk assessment and substance identification.


Request UST Testing Date

California law requires immediate reporting of releases or threatened releases of hazardous materials. Section 25507(a) of the California Health and Safety Code states that any handler of hazardous materials “shall, upon discovery, immediately report any release or threatened release of a hazardous material to the administering Agency.”

The purpose of immediate notification is to allow emergency-response agencies to either monitor an incident, stage equipment or respond to an incident in their efforts to protect the public and environment. Success of a response is often time dependent and therefore, unnecessary delay of reporting could magnify the impact to human health or the environment. As a general guideline, when in doubt, report the release or threatened release.

During emergencies, dial 911 to alert the Kern County Fire Department and notify the Kern County Environmental Health Department hazmat section at 661-549-9927. The following guidelines are for reporting releases and threatened releases of hazardous materials within Kern County.

For Hazardous Materials Emergency, call KCEHD Emergency Response at  661-549-9927