Dental - Operation Saving Smiles Program (OSS)
A Healthy Smile Begins With a Child
First Tooth, First Visit (English)
First Tooth, First Visit (Spanish)
Four Healthy Steps (English)
Four Healthy Steps (Spanish)
Healthy Children Are Ready to Learn!
Los nino saludables estan listos para aprender!
Rethink Your Drink (Spanish)
About the Program
Operation Saving Smiles (OSS) seeks to improve oral health of Kern County residents by providing preventative education and information about available resources to the community.
Take Home Messages
- First Tooth, First Visit
- Visit the dentist every 6 months or as recommended
- Brush for 2 minutes, twice a day (2min2x)
- Floss your teeth daily
- Eat healthy foods
- Limit sugary drinks & snacks
- Avoid any tobacco products
- Have fluoride varnish applied as soon as first tooth comes in and every 3-6 months or as recommended
- Have dental sealants applied when molars (back teeth) come in or as recommended
Good Oral Health Begins with:
- Healthy Foods, Drinks, and Snacks: Protein & calcium rich foods help keep teeth strong (i.e. lean meats, nuts, seeds, and fluoridated water).
- Fluoride Varnish: It is a mineral that can strengthen tooth enamel (outer coating on teeth). It is applied on all surfaces of all teeth.
- Dental Sealants: They are thin plastic or glass protective coatings that are only applied to the chewing surfaces of the molars (back teeth) to prevent food residue from sticking in the grooves.
Tooth Decay (Cavities)
- Caused by bacteria on teeth that break down food and produce acid that destroys tooth enamel.
- Most common chronic disease in children.
- It is four times more common than asthma.
- IT IS PREVENTABLE!!!
- OSS Pamphlet - English
- OSS Pamphlet - Spanish
- Fluoride Varnish Info for Parents - English
- Fluoride Varnish Info for Parents - Spanish
- Dental Sealant Info for Parents - English
- Dental Sealant Info for Parents - Spanish
For more information on oral health education, please contact the Operation Saving Smiles Program at 321-3000.
Funded by the California Department of Public Health under contract 17-10695.